- CAREER: Assessing the Role of Land Surface Processes on the Climate Changes in the Heavy Rain and Convection over the Indian Monsoon Region (PI), NSF Large Scale Climate Dynamics/ CAREER, (2009 - 2014)
- INTEROP: A Community Based Drought Information Network for Multidisciplinary Applications (coPI, PI C. Song), NSF Office of Cyber Infrastructure (2009 - 12)
- Making Sense of Global Warming: Model of a Student Learning via Collaborative Research (coPI, PI A. Roy-Choudhury), NSF DR K-12 Program (2008 - 2012)
- Role of Spatial Heterogeneity in Atmospheric Observation and Modeling (PI, Fellowship), NASA Earth System Science Fellowship (2008- 2011)
- Utilizing CLASIC Observations and Multiscale models to study of the impact of Improved Land Surface Representation on Modling Cloud-Convection (PI), DOE ARM Program (2009 - 2011)
- Communicating Ocean Sciences Informal Education Network: Scientists and Educators working together to Promote Ocean Literacy (coPI, lead PI at UC Berkeley C. Halverson, COSIA) (2009- 2012)
- Developing an Earth System Science Teacher Professional Development Tool Kit (CoPI with Dan Shepardson), NSF Geoscience Education (2010 - 2012)
- FLOW: An Innovative Educational Toolkit for River Awareness (coPI, lead PI T. Carter, Butler Univ) (2010 - 2013)
- Assessing the Role of Land Conditions on the Rainfall Distribution of Landfalling Tropical Cyclones (PI, Fellowship), NASA Earth System Science Fellowship (2010 - 2013)
Summary of Select Past Research Projects (completed)
- Estimation of Evapotranspiration and Crop Water Stress Over Large Areas Using Remote Sensing Observations, USDA NRI CGP, coPI (PI; S. Islam Tufts Univ, T. Carlson, Penn State).
- National Workshop on Agricultural Air Quality - USDA NRI CGP. Lead institution NCSU (collaborating: Duke University W. Schlesinger, Ecological Society of America: Cliff Duke).
- Multisensor/multiscale Analysis of Urban impacts in the Upper Great Lakes Region, NASA LCLUC, (coPI with L. Bowling, K. Cherkauer, B. Pijanowski at Purdue University).
- From Sources to Sinks - A Novel Isotopic Analysis of Nitrate Loading in Groundwater and Surface Runoff in Indiana Watersheds, Showalter Grant, Purdue University (coPI with G. Michalski, PI, and B. Joern at Purdue University).
- Integrated Climate Change Assessment using Landuse Landcover change, Radiation, and Carbon-Water Cycle, NASA Interdisciplinary Science, (coPI, with R. Pielke CSU as PI).
- Characterization and Fate of Ammonia and Hydrogen Sulfide from Animal Feeding Operations: Their Emissions, Transport, Transformations, Deposition, and Impact on Fine Particulate Matter, USDA- Air Quality Initiative ( V. Aneja (PI), co-PI, along with S.P. Arya, G. Jennings, J. Fountain, W. Gilliam, R. Mathur, W. Showers, P. Westerman).
- Modeling aerosol effects in Numerical Models for Regional Climate Studies, NASA-Radiation Program (2003 - 2006), co-PI; PI- R. Pielke, M. Coughener, S. Kodrenawlis, all CSU; and W. Tao, NASA/GSFC).
- Impact of Transpiration Feedback on Land Atmosphere Water Vapor Exchange and Land Surface Memory, NOAA, PI (coPI Fei Chen, NCAR), THROUGH NASA/GWEC- Terrestrial Hydrology Program. (details)
- Investigation of effect of land surface processes on QPF and convection initiation, NSF - ATM Mesoscale, (2002- 2008, PI).
- Development of an internet based turf disease warning system, New Grant, Center for Turf Education and Research, 5/03 - 6/05.
- Coupling and Validating Noah Land Surface Model in Navy's COAMPS, NRL - Monterey , (2002 - 2005, PI).
- Agricultural Weather and Climate Atlas, PI (co-Is: K. Scheeringa, R. Grant, S.Fall), Rice Grant from Purdue Agricultural Research Center, 05/05 - 05/06.
- Development and Operation of NC Agricultural Weather and Climate Observational Network (AgNet), NC Agricultural Research Services, 1999 - 2002 (Project Manage and co-Principal Investigator), 1998 - 2003.
- Surface - Atmosphere Exchanges for Hydrometeorological Models, NOAA / EPA, 1999 2002
- Emergency Management Assistance in North Carolina (co- nvestigator and Project Manager), NC Dept. Emergency Management, 2000-2001.
- Analysis of Land Plume over Indian Ocean during INDOEX, (Collaborator), NSF Div. Atmos. Sci., 2000 - 2003.
- NCAR- Travel Support for Participation in International H2O Project (IHOP) Field Program and Land Surface Workshop, (through RAP and MMM NCAR; M. LeMone)
- Field Component of the Instrumentation Meteorology Course, NCSU- ETF, 2001-2002.
- Participation in the Environmental Monitoring at the World Trade Center Site (Project Manager) EPA contract to State Climate Office, 2002
- Biophysical Measurements and Data Analysis using Porometery and Canopy scaling, 2003, NCSU-ETF